Tuesday, March 8, 2011

First Race-with athletes

This past Saturday, was the Frostbite Time Trial north of Ft. Collins.  This was the first chance to test my own fitness for the 2011 race season, but it was also a great chance to get to race with a few of my athletes.

As a coach, there is only so much I can do to get an athlete ready for his or her races.  Once at the race, the athletes are on their own.  I can't be at every race for every athlete and I certainly can't control the dynamics the outcome of the races. What I can do, as a coach, is to get each athlete as prepared as possible for each race.

Such was the case at the Frostbite TT.  Not only did I get to watch each athlete race, I got to warm-up with them, I got to go over the course and race strategy for each, we got to ride and cool-down together, and we car pooled together.
It was a great bonding experience and reminded me how much I enjoy coaching and riding my bike.

The Mountain Flyer Magazine was covering the race, and here is a nice write up about about the race, and the results.

The four of us came home with 1 win, 2 seconds, and valuable experience gained.

No comments:

Post a Comment